- An international armed conflict led to many human casualties that require medical assistance and to be treated fast
- The ICRC has deployed a field hospital in a conflict-affected area. Due to providing aid to many patients, the field hospital is suffering a shortage of medical supplies.
- Two new patients have arrived at the field hospital.
- One of them is a female child who is in need of quick medical assistance in order to save her life and for her to live normally.
- The other patient is a high-ranking officer who could play a huge role in ending the conflict against the invading forces since he is leading the main operation. He is suffering from gun wounds but he could return to the battlefront soon.
- Available resources only allow the treatment of one patient only. The field hospital has the necessary medical personnel to treat either patient equally well.
Source: (Fictitious) Case proposed by course participant.
Questions for the discussion of this scenario
Whom do you give preference in treatment and how can this be justified ethically?
Page printed from MME Scenario Collection – https://scenarios.militarymedicalethics.ch